FSSAI FOOD LICENSE
Every day new food products come in the market to give a competition to the existing ones. This is why the food retail business is among the most common ones in India. If you plan on manufacturing, or distributing a food product, it is important to get a Food License. The license gets under the FSSAI certification. FSSAI stands for the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India. It is an autonomous body under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. FSSAI is responsible to regulate and supervise the food safety in India. FSSAI focuses on achieving the goal of promoting and protecting public health. Thus it is very important to have an FSSAI Food license.
WHAT IS FOOD LICENSE?
FSSAI Licensing started as an initiative by the government. This initiative takes to ensure that all the food products manufactured, distributed, or imported into the country meet the quality standards set by the proper authority.
- safe for consumption,
- unadulterated, and
- of standard quality.
TYPES OF FOOD LICENSE IN INDIA
Based on the scale of your business, you can get one or more of these FSSAI Licenses:
- License for single-state food businesses whose turnover is below Rs. 12 Lakh
- License for hotels, restaurants, and medium-size food manufacturers operating in a single-state whose annual turnover is Rs. 12 Lakh to 20 Lakh
- Central License for businesses/enterprises with a turnover of Rs. 20 Crore or more
For example, if you have just started a food business in your state, you will need a basic FSSAI Registration. However, if you plan on expanding to more than one state and meet the turnover limit, you will need a Central FSSAI License.
WHO NEEDS TO GET AN LICENSE?
- FSSAI Registration and Food License Procurement are mandatory. But for those business or enterprise that involves the manufacturing, packaging, processing, importing storage, or distribution of food items.
- The food license basically gives a 14-digit registration number. It should be mention in every single food package manufacture or distribute. Even enterprises that have warehouses in different states need to get a separate Food License for all of their warehouses.
HOW TO GET A FOOD LICENSE/FSSAI REGISTRATION IN INDIA
- Select the type of FSSAI License that you need. Then start with filling FORM B under the Food Safety and Standards (Licensing and Registration of Food Businesses) Regulations 2011
- Carefully fill the form. And send it to the designated licensing authority of the central or state level along with the documents
- If the licensing authority finds any information incomplete, it gives you 15 days to provide them with complete information. Upon successful receiving of the complete form, an Application ID will be generated.
- Then a quality inspector or officer will be sent to the business premises to inspect it. The grounds of inspection are of hygiene, sanitation, quality, etc. If any notice has been issued, the same should be worked upon and intimated within 30 days.
- After the inspection report is submitted with the licensing authority, they may choose to approve or reject the application. If approved, you will receive your Food License.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR FSSAI REGISTRATION
The following documents require at the time of application:
- Business Name
- Address Proof of the Business
- Photo ID and Address Proof of the Proprietor, partner or director
- The layout of the manufacturing unit or storage facility
- Self-attested declaration
- NOC from local authorities or municipality of the area
- Food analysis report
All of this, submitted along with the prescribed fees for the category.
The entire process of getting an FSSAI License in India takes about 2 months and has several phases as said above. easeURbusiness is here to make this task easier for you and handle the complete process with ease.