FSSAI FOOD LICENSE
Everyday new food products come in the market to give a competition to the existing ones and this is why food retail business is among the most common ones in India. If you plan on manufacturing, packaging or distributing a food product, it is important to get a Food License under the FSSAI certification. FSSAI stands for Food Safety and Standards Authority of India which is an autonomous body under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. FSSAI is responsible to regulate and supervise the food safety in India to achieve the overall objective of promoting and protecting public health. Therefore its very important to have FSSAI Food license.
WHAT IS FOOD LICENSE?
The FSSAI Licensing was started as an initiative by the government to ensure that all the food products manufactured, distributed or imported into the country meets the quality standards set by the proper authority. In layman terms, the FSSAI License ensures that all the food products in the country are safe for consumption, unadulterated and of standard quality.
TYPES OF FOOD LICENSE IN INDIA
Based on the scale of your food business and the area of operation, you can get one or more of these FSSAI Licenses:
- License for single-state food businesses whose turnover is below Rs. 12 Lakh
- License for hotels, restaurants, and medium-sized food manufacturers operating in a single-state whose annual turnover is Rs. 12 Lakh to 20 Lakh
- Central License for businesses/enterprises with a turnover of Rs. 20 Crore or more
For example, if you have just started a food business in your state, you will need a basic FSSAI Registration. However, if you plan on expanding to more than one state and meet the turnover limit, you will need a Central FSSAI License.
WHO NEEDS TO GET AN LICENSE?
FSSAI Registration and Food License Procurement is mandatory for any business or enterprise that is involved in the manufacturing, packaging, processing, importing, storage or distribution of food items.
The food license basically gives a 14-digit registration number which should be put in every single food package manufactured or distributed. Even enterprises that have warehouses in different states need to get separate Food License for all of their storage units/warehouses.
HOW TO GET A FOOD LICENSE/FSSAI REGISTRATION IN INDIA
- Select the type of FSSAI License that you need and start with filling FORM B under the Food Safety and Standards (Licensing and Registration of Food Businesses) Regulations 2011
- Carefully fill the form and send to the designated licensing authority of the central or state level along with the documents
- If the licensing authority finds any information incomplete, it gives you 15 days to provide them with the complete information. Upon successful receiving of the complete form, an Application ID will be generated.
- After this, a quality inspector or officer will be sent to the business premises to inspect it on ground of hygiene, sanitation, quality, etc. If any notice has been issued, the same should be worked upon and intimated within 30 days.
- After the inspection report is submitted with the licensing authority, they may choose to approve or reject the application. If approved, you will receive your Food License.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR FSSAI REGISTRATION
The following documents would be needed at the time of application:
- Business Name
- Address Proof of the Business
- Photo ID and Address Proof of the Proprietor, partner or director
- Layout of the manufacturing unit or storage facility
- Self-attested declaration
- NOC from local authorities or municipality of the area
- Food analysis report
All of this should be submitted along with the prescribed fees for the category.
The entire process of getting FSSAI License in India takes about 2 months and has several phases as said above. easeURbusiness is here to make this task easier for you and handle the complete process with ease.