Convert Public Limited Company to Private Limited Company
A Public Limited Company, legally known as PLC, is a publicly held company. It is a limited company whose shares can be traded with the public. PLC can be listed or not listed in the stock exchanges. PLC requires a minimum of 3 Directors as a prerequisite.
A private limited company or famously known as LTD is a privately held company. This implies that the business limits owner liability to its shares and limits number of shareholders to 50. It also restricts shareholders from trading shares publicly.
Advantages of Private Limited Company (Heading)
- The liability of shareholders is limited to their shares. Financial risks are a part of business but to be able to minimize them and sustain the business progress is imperative. In an LTD, if due to any reason the company were to be closed the shareholders would not risk losing their personal assets.
- Risk of takeovers is minimized when two shareholders trade shares as the selling and buying of shares is possible only when both parties have given their consent.
- Private limited companies are incorporated; hence it continues to exist even if the owner dies.
- LTD is not obliged to disclose its finances to public, unlike the Public Limited.
- It enjoys less legal restrictions as compared to a Public Limited Company.
- There is a necessity to call for a general meeting of members in Public Limited, whereas there is no such compulsion in Private Limited.
- To start a business, the public company needs a certificate of commencement of business after incorporation, whereas a private company can start its business just after receiving a certificate of incorporation.
Documents required to convert Public Limted Company to Private Limited Company (Heading)
- E-form MGT 14 – Special resolution for conversion of the company into a public company is to be filed with the following attachments:
- Certified true copy of special resolution
- Altered memorandum and articles of association (MOA/AOA)
- Certified true copy of board resolution is optional
- Notice of Extra Ordinary General Meeting (EGM) that is held to pass the board resolution which is the approval of Directors for conversion of a Public Limited Company to Private Limited Company
- E-from INC 27 – Application for the conversion of Public Limited to Private Limited
- Minutes of the Meeting where approval was given for conversion and altered Articles of Association
- Altered Articles of Association